Where to marry on the Lake Orta: a wonderful frame for a magnificent wedding.
- Town hall of PETTENASCO (NO)
Piazza Unita’ d’Italia n.2 – 28028 PETTENASCO (NO)
Tel. (+39)0323.89115 – Fax (+39) 0323.89693
Official website: www.comune.pettenasco.no.it/
- Town hall of ORTA SAN GIULIO (NO)
Via Bossi n.11 – 28016 ORTA SAN GIULIO (NO) – Italy
Tel. (+39) N. Verde 800.905222 – Fax (+39) 0322.90133
Official website: www.ortasangiulio.com
- Parish church of Pettenasco:
Sant’Audenzio e Caterina church.
Built in 1778, at the limits of the town and at the place of a Romanesque 12th century chapel, it was dedicated to Sant’Audenzio (prefect of the territory and friend of San Giulio, Saint evangelizer of the Riviera, who came during the 4th century from the Aegina Greek island to fight the Arian heresy). The church maintains on the northern side the medieval and primitive Romanesque bell tower, one of the most ancient in the whole Riviera. It was built with stones placed in an irregular way and it has edges strengthened by square blocks, slots in the lower orders and mullioned windows in the higher orders. The church is flanked by another bell tower built in 1792. The inside has one nave and is full of interesting paintings, among whose the Adoration of the Shepherds of G. Cesare Procaccini.
Parish priest: Don Giuliano tel 0323-89148
- Parish church of Orta San Giulio
On the top of the Motta ascent there is the Santa Maria Assunta church, built in 1485 and rebuilt in the second half of the 18th century. The original late-Romanesque structure was then embellished by 17th and 18th century paintings of Rossetti, Cantalupi and Orgiazzi. In the Gemelli chapel it is possible to admire a painting of Procaccini representing St. Charles at the procession of pest in Milan; it is one of the most significant examples of the Lombard early 17th century. The façade has been made by Carlo Nigra and is preceded by a vestibule on little twin columns of the 17th century.
Parish priest: 0322 90147
- Sacro Monte of Orta
The Sacro Monte was built since 1590 above Orta, where the ancient church of St. Nicholas was located, dating back to the Middle Ages, in which an image of Our Lady of Mercy was revered. The Sacro Monte of Orta was built at the behest of Amico Canobio with the purpose of telling the story of St. Francis. It is located on a hill overlooking the peninsula where there is the centre of Orta. It is a peaceful and relaxing place which was chosen indeed for its location which helps meditation and prayer. An important contributor to its construction was Carlo Bascapè, bishop of Novara and feudatory prince of the Orta Riviera; he defined the project from a religious point of view: there is an evident didactic purpose in the detailed narration of the life of St. Francis. The visit to the chapels allows to understand the different architectural models which succeeding in time and linked to the change of the taste. The first chapel were indeed simple and decorated by frescoes and terracotta sculptures groups describing the life of the Saint. In the 17th century, the more emphatic Baroque style left visible traces in the figures of the chapels 17, 19 and 20. Rococo style influences are visible in the soft pastel colors of several chapels and were introduced by the painter Stefano Maria Legnani, while the New Chapel is the expression of the Neoclassical model. The biggest part of the artists who worked in the building phase supervised by Bascapè came from Milan: painters such as Morazzone, Prestinari, Giovanni d’Enrico, Giovanni Battista and Giovanni Mauro della Rovere succeeded in this first phase.
- The Sanctuary of Bocciola in Ameno
SANTUARIO BOCCIOLA, Via Bardelli 11
Information at the parish church of Gozzano. Tel. 0322 94763
Situated in a panoramic location on the road connecting the Lake Orta to Ameno, the Sanctuary was built on the remains of a little church which was built in the 16th century in memory of an apparition of Our Lady. The current building was began in 1754 and finished in 1834-43 and presents a typically Neoclassical structure. The inside has a quatrefoil plan with choir and a magnificent main altar in white marble where it is possible to admire the ancient image of Our Lady. The walls and the vault of the Sanctuary are finely decorated with splendid frescoes of Agostino Comerio (19th century). They refer to the Old Testament, to Our Lady and to the birth of Jesus Christ. A curiosity: in the registrars of the Sanctuary several “miracles” are collected, of which there was testimony, which occurred during the centuries and were attributed to Our Lady of Bocciola.
Texts taken from the website www.provincia.novara.it
For information on your celebration, please contact us!